Monday 10 February 2014

Oats - Peanut butter lava muffin

Where there can be a choco lava cake, why not peanut butter lava cake??!! I know all chocolate lovers out there are not gonna agree with me. But I too am a very big chocolate lover and trust me, this dish is as interesting as the name I've given to it! I came across this recipe long back on YouTube and had bookmarked it but what was holding me back from trying it was that it used egg whites. I do eat egg cakes but when it comes to myself trying it out, I try to avoid eggs as I do not like the raw smell of it. But the peanut butter lying in my kitchen shelf tempted me a lot to try this out and I came up with my own eggless version by substituting egg whites with yoghurt! The best part is the entire preparation and baking was done within 20 minutes! So all peanut butter lovers... Here you go!!!!



INGREDIENTS (Makes 3 medium sized muffins)

  • Oats - 1/2 cup heaped
  • Banana - 1 medium sized (make sure it is very ripe)
  • Yoghurt - 1/2 cup
  • Cinnamon powder - 1/2 Tsp
  • Vanilla essence - 1 Tsp
  • Sugar/honey/any sweetener - This is optional, add as you need depending on how sweet you want the muffin to be (I just added a tsp of brown sugar. If you want it to be sweet, then I'd suggest you to add more)
  • Peanut butter - 3 Tbsp


METHOD
  1. Blend together all ingredients except the peanut butter into a smooth thick batter
  2. Taste the batter and add more sweetener of your choice according to your taste (honey would be the best combo with oats)
  3. Make sure the batter is thick and of soft dropping consistency (similar to vada batter)
  4. Pre-heat the oven to 180C
  5. Line muffin tray with paper liners or grease the muffin tray
  6. Fill quarter of the muffin moulds with the batter
  7. Now add a Tbsp of peanut butter in the centre and again pour the oats batter till 3/4th of the muffin mould
  8. Bake for 12 - 15 minutes (Keep an eye after 10 minutes as the time would vary for each oven. Pricking the tooth pick to check if it is done will not work for this cake as the molten peanut butter would be in the center. So a better way to check would be to gently touch the center of the muffin with three fingers. If it bounces back, then it is done!!)
  9. Cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes and dig in! As the cake cools more, the peanut butter would also become firm, so if you want the lava effect, then just before eating, microwave it for 15 seconds and then enjoy 


Eating healthy, can be tasty too :) 


NOTES:

  • Peanut butter can be substituted with Nutella too
  • Make sure the banana is very ripe. This will enhance the taste and texture of the muffin
  • You could top the muffin with raisins/nuts of your choice
Sending this recipe to the following event:






No comments:

Post a Comment