Sunday 29 June 2014

Onion crackers

A rainy evening, hot cup of tea with freshly baked onion crackers! Isn't that an amazing combo?? Yes, I am writing this post while I am enjoying the above combo. Wish I was good at writing poems. As the savory delight melts through my mouth, I am at loss of words. So before I get lost in my thoughts, let me type the recipe right away!
Recipe source: Greenhousecuisine.com



INGREDIENTS:
  • Whole wheat flour - 3/4th cup
  • Onion - 1/2, finely chopped
  • Kasuri methi (dried fenugreek leaves) - 1/4 teaspoon
  • Baking powder - 1/2 teaspoon
  • Salt - 1/2 teaspoon
  • Red chilli powder - 1/4 teaspoon
  • Cumin seeds (Jeera) - 1/2 teaspoon
  • Sesame seeds (white til) - 1/2 teaspoon
  • Oil - 1.5 tablespoon
  • Yogurt - 1/2 tablespoon
  • Water - as needed


METHOD:
  1. In a large mixing bowl, add all the dry ingredients - flour, onion, kasuri methi, baking powder, salt, red chilli powder, cumin seeds, sesame seeds and mix well
  2. Now add oil and yogurt and start rubbing the mixture inbetween your palms, until it resembles a crumble texture (like bread crumbs) 
  3. Add very little water and knead into a stiff dough (for the above measurement, I used 3 to 3.5 tablespoons of water). Keep it covered
  4. Pre-heat oven to 180 C and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper
  5. Roll the dough on a floured surface to about 3 mm thickness and cut it into desired shapes
  6. Place them on the cookie sheet and bake in a pre-heated oven for 15 minutes
  7. Cool them completely on a wired rack and enjoy it as a guilt free evening snack with your tea or coffee!

NOTE:
They stay good for a day, when stored in air-tight container. But they lose their crispness as time passes

Eating healthy, can be tasty too!

No comments:

Post a Comment