Tuesday 29 July 2014

Dates Kulfi (Low fat)

Last week mom got some Arabian dates while doing her regular grocery shopping. The big black dates were so sweet and tasty and that was enough to tempt me to try out some interesting recipe with it. 
I have already tried sticky date pudding before. So this time I wanted to make a dessert without any baking involved. While browsing the net, I found various recipes for dates milkshake, dates payasam/pudding/kheer etc. 
I finally decided to make my own dates payasam by adding all that I wished to! I used the one spoon of condensed milk that remained after doing toffees, then included some remaining fresh cream that was lying in the refrigerator and I wanted to use it in a day or two. So the final product was a creamy and yummy dates payasam/pudding/kheer or however you wish to call it. I left it to cool and I thought I could refrigerate it and serve it chilled. But I decided I would not blog it here, as there was nothing special in it. 
Then came my mom with a fantastic idea. As I had added fresh cream in the recipe, she asked me to freeze it in kulfi moulds and freeze it! And look at how it turned out! My God.. Moms' are always the best! Don't you agree?? 



INGREDIENTS: (Makes 7-8 mini kulfis)
  • Dates - 5 big (deseeded)
  • Milk - 1/2 cup
  • Condensed milk - 1 tablespoon (absolutely optional, I just wanted to empty the remaining condensed milk in the fridge)
  • Sugar - 2 teaspoons (This depends on your taste and also the sweetness of dates)
  • Fresh cream - 1/2 cup (I used low fat fresh cream. You could use the full fat cream too)


METHOD:
  1. Soak the dates in 1/4 cup of warm milk for 15 minutes
  2. Grind the soaked dates into a smooth paste. You can use the milk in which you soaked the dates, for grinding
  3. Boil the remaining milk and add the dates paste
  4. Stir continuously and cook in low flame for 5 to 10 minutes
  5. Add in the sugar, condensed milk (optional) and fresh cream
  6. Cook for 2 minutes and once it starts to bubble, switch off the heat
  7. Allow it to cool
  8. Pour it in kulfi moulds and freeze it for a minimum of 5 to 6 hours or overnight
  9. Just before serving, take a bowl of water and dip the moulds in the bowl of water for 10 seconds and then pull out the kulfi
  10. That's it!! Start licking and enjoy this low fat but rich in taste dessert, absolutely guilt free!
Note - It is not necessary to freeze in kulfi moulds. If you don't have them, then you can use small mud pots (matka kulfi!!) or just freeze them in an air tight container and while serving, just scoop and serve like ice-cream!


No comments:

Post a Comment