Saturday 26 July 2014

Idli Wedges

Recipe ideas for left over idlies - Idli upma.. boring, Fried chilli idli.. too much oil. So here is a unique recipe for left over idlis and I'm sure next time you would prepare idlis, specially to make this dish! Idli wedges it is!! I came across this recipe in rakskitchen and have tried it many times. But they would get over as soon as I prepare them and I would not be left with any, to take pictures. Thankfully today I had all the time with me to leisurely take photos after preparing the crispy idli wedges. They can be altered according to your choice and can be served as an evening snack or even as a finger food for parties!


 
INGREDIENTS: (Makes 16 wedges)
  • Idlies - 4
  • Oil - 2 tablespoons (I used olive oil, any other oil like sunflower, til, rice bran etc. of your choice could also be used)
  • Gun powder/ idli milagai podi - 4 tablespoons

METHOD:

1.     Cut the idlies lengthwise in the shape of wedges
2.     Brush each idli with oil
3.     You can follow any of the following procedures to prepare the wedges:
·        Bake the wedges in a pre-heated oven at 190C for 10 minutes
·        Grill the wedges for 15 minutes (I followed this method)
·        Toast the wedges with very little oil in a pan on medium flame till they turn crisp
·        Deep frying is the last option that I would suggest as the idlis would absorb a lot of oil (If you are not so calorie conscious, then go ahead!!)
4.     In a plate sprinkle the gun powder/idli milagai podi and toss the baked/fried wedges over the powder so that it coats the idli wedges on all sides
5.     Serve hot with ketchup/chutney/sambhar according to your taste buds!

No comments:

Post a Comment